Friday, August 31, 2012

Pickpocket 1 Corey 0

I was recently in Manakara (a town on the South East coast of Mada) for a malaria training with PC. After three days of travel, I arrived on Monday and met up with the other volunteers participating. A group of 15 of us, PCVs and staff, went to the 'best pizza place in town' for dinner, and all was well until I went inside to pay. When I opened my purse my wallet was missing. Weird. So I went outside to look around, and my friend picked it up off the ground. Weirder. And then I opened it to find that all my money and ATM card was gone. Damn. I had managed to go a year without being pickpocketed, but it finally happened...

The whole situation was strange though. First of all, there was both a fence and bushes in between where I was sitting and the street, there were 15 of us at dinner and no one saw anything, my purse was a few inches from me at all times, and the restaurant had a guard out front. But despite all that, I was still robbed. Luckily I had taken out most of my money before going out, so only about $15 was stolen, but the ATM card was a bigger deal. I never thought the pickpocket would actually use the card, but the thought of having to go through the beaurocracy at the bank was a terrible thought.

Luckily my PC bosses were still around, so they helped figure out what to do. The owner and guard thought they knew the pickpocket...so the owner said he would watch out for him and try to talk him into giving my stuff back. The owner, a really nice French man, felt so bad and said he would call me if he heard anything. So I called our security officer and then went back to the hotel since there was nothing else to do that night. The next morning we started our training, but I skipped out on a few sessions to go to the police department. I was really lucky that I happened to be with Peace Corps during this whole fiasco because I couldn't have done it by myself, and it was nice to have a PC car and driver to take me to run errands, not to mention help me speak Malagasy. Going to the police and the bank made me realize how much Malagasy I still don't know! I couldn't answer 90% of the questions I was asked, so thanks PC for being my interpreter. 
 
 Anyway, I spent about an hour and a half at the police station handwriting a declaration, taking it to make a photocopy across the street, watching the police officer type my declaration into the computer, having him print it out and then use a typewriter (they still exist here!) to add stuff to the printed form...(I have a few suggestions for increased efficiency here...but thats a whole other story)
From the police station we went to the bank where I was expecting to spend another 4 hours. But surprisingly, the bank was the quickest stop! I filled out a form, they said I would have a new card in 20 days, and in 10 minutes I was done. From there we stopped by the restaurant where I talked to the owner to check on the status of finding the pickpocket. Still nothing...But later that night I was at dinner and I got a call from the restaurant owner. He had found the robber, the robber had confessed to taking some money, and he gave it back. He also said that he had never taken my card, but pulled it out, decided not to steal it, and put it in a different pocket. Sure enough, I opened an unused pocket in my wallet, and my ATM card was there! (A little embarrassing that I had it the whole time...) I was pretty happy at this turn of events, but the only issue was that I had already cancelled the ATM card...so I had to go back to the bank the next day.

Expecting the bank to still have the report from the day before, I planned to just tear it up. But, uncharacteristically, the bank had been super fast and had already sent my report to Tana. So I had to write up another report explaining what had happened...meanwhile everyone in the bank was asking questions about everything and offering their own advice for avoiding pickpockets. By the time I was done in the bank, everyone had been filled in on my entire story, from what I had to dinner to how I got my money back. Overall, it turned into a pretty funny story, and considering the pickpocketing stories from other PCVs, I got really lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment