Monday, August 22, 2011

Demystified


Another blog post within a week…this is unheard of! Right now I'm "borrowing" wireless from an organization in the center of town where I'm visiting a current PCV. They haven't figured out how to lock their wireless, and I'm not complaining. 

Two other trainees and I are staying with a SED (small enterprise development) volunteer in Arivonimamo (an hour drive from Tana) to learn about her life and her work and the realities of being a PC volunteer.  We started by spending the day in Tana and going to Jumbo, a huge grocery store. It was a weird feeling being back in a grocery store! No bargaining. Packaged products. Refrigeration. But I realize that I’m getting more accustomed to prices here in Madagascar because I was shocked at how expensive things were at the grocery store! Shampoo and conditioner for 10,000 Ar (2000Ar=1USD). WHAT? Even if it was Garnier Fructis… But I was amazed at the wonders of a grocery store…Twix bars, marshmallows, packaged and prepared meat…Crazy. After Jumbo, we continued to see the highlights of Tana, and we went to Happy King, a Chinese owned fried chicken fast food restaurant. It’s a favorite among volunteers and the closest you can get to fast food. Its on the 2nd floor of a really nice office building, so it seems a little out of place, but delicious nonetheless.

Then we headed to Arivonimamo on my first taxi-brousse ride. Luckily, it was only an hour and it wasn’t nearly as bad as our security officer has made us believe. No drunk men harassing you, no drunk driver, no mechanical problems and no one vomiting out the window. Score.

I lucked out with hosts for our demyst though. We had heard that she had a really nice house, but her house is amazing. Posh Corps you could say. It’s a brand new house, and it came with a guard who lives in a little house in the front yard. She has tile floors, electricity, a kitchen and indoor bathroom (but no running water) and a well 10 ft from her door. So while this was supposed to be a good look at what living like a PC volunteer would be, I can’t get used to this kind of living. I’m pretty sure my living situation will be a little different. But I did enjoy this four days while I had it.

We took the opportunity of having four Americans together, to cook as much food from home as we could. We started with a huge pot of pasta (and no rice!). For breakfast we had bacon and eggs. And we made 48 sliders for lunch (for four people…). To top it off, we made smores over a candle with marshmallows, chocolate and coconut wafers. AMAZING.We also had french toast and tonight we're eating spaghetti. I feel like I'm back in the States!

While on demyst we also did a little work? We went to the local health clinic and asked about the health issues in the community. We also went to the village’s soccer game against another village. We met with the Chef Fokontany (president of the village) and also went to the market. We tried to walk into the hospital to ask some questions about health in the town, but we got chased away because we weren't allowed to even look around without talking to the inspector..No one really knows who the inspector was though. Oh well. 

When I get back to the training center on Tuesday its back to training …but only for four weeks. Within that four weeks I have to give three health talks in Malagasy, pass a language exam and learn a lot more about health in Madagascar. And then real life begins...On September 16th we swear in as volunteers and then off to Tsarasambo! I'll update when I can! I miss you all. Keep sending emails and letters!

No comments:

Post a Comment